Luke 5:1-11- (verse4) " When He had finished speaking, He said to Simon, " Put out into deep water and let down your nets for a catch." "Master," Simon replied, "We've worked hard all night long and caught nothing. But at your word, I'll let down the nets." When they did this, they caught a great number of fish, and their nets began to tear."
I wonder how many times the Lord has asked us to go into "deeper" waters with Him and we have said "NO"? Deeper waters can mean anything that is different than where you are now, if right now is safe, secure, comfortable, and content.
When I think of DEEP WATER, I imagine.......Dark, Creepy, Scary, NO surface for my feet to touch, things swimming around me with big, sharp teeth,..........
See, I like to plant myself right where the waves lap up on the beach. I like to dig my feet in the soft, brown, shell filled sand and sit there. All day. I don't even mind the sand getting in my swimsuit. I am safe here. I am content. I love it!!
Why then, would our Jesus, ask us to move out of this VEERRYY comfortable place and cast our net into deeper waters? Doesn't He care about my happiness, my enjoyment, my sanity?
The Answer Is Simply
Yes. And No.
Yes, He loves me.
No, my happiness is not His goal.
Deeper waters allow us to rely solely and completely upon HIM. Which, I'm pretty sure this is what the bible calls
FAITH.
Only Jesus can allow you to catch nets and nets of fish in deeper waters.
And then, the end of this passage in Luke, describes how Jesus called out Simon, James, and John, and made them "fishers of men."
Being made fishers of men. By stepping out into the deep. That is what I call FAITH!
No comments:
Post a Comment