Wednesday, October 14, 2009

1 day left!!

I can't believe we only have 1 more day left in Guatemala!! Zach said today "Oh man, we only have 1 more day!" So, I think this trip has definately had an impact in him as well as the other youth. Tonight for devotion, we let all the youth lead. Diamond, Whitney, and Gabe shared a testimony, while Zach opened us up in prayer. Annie shared how American churches are so different from the ones in Germany. She said there are no youth groups, she had never experienced "devotions", and that everyone here is like family. This place has definately left an impact on all our lives.

The van was quiet today on the way back from visiting El Girion School and the village. Hearts were heavy knowing we would not see those children again we had grown to adore, unless on another trip. It was neat to see how certain children would connect with someone from our team. They would seek them out and never leave their side. Young girls flocked to Perry and never left. I wondered if any of them had dads. Whitney was a favorite with the younger children, holding and loving on them. A little girl named Kimberly was on her hip most of the day. A boy about 10 or 11 stayed by Rick's side, and walked him to the van when it was time to leave. His eyes were so meaningful when he tried to say goodbye in spanish; I think he was trying to ask him to come back and see him another time.
We saw so many lives, each with a different story. A young mom who didn't look older than 13 or 14 who followed us and wanted us to hold her baby. The lady with the sick baby where we left 3 bags of diapers and wipes, kitchen utensils, bowls, and baby clothes. Edgar led us in prayer there and blessed her family. Her husband works in Guat. City and makes $5 a day. When we were leaving her place, I noticed I had a wad of Q's (guat. money) in my pocket left over from the store this morning. I went back to her door to give her the money, and when she answered this time she was crying. I handed her the money and I have never seen anyone so grateful in all my life. The money I gave her was about ten to fifteen US dollars. I was just going to bring it back for "souvenirs" but this was 3 days wages for her family. Our abundance, her need. Made me realize how much I take for granted. We also passed out more rice, beans, oil. It was just a small bag, but the looks on their faces showed a gratitude that I cannot express. They seemed to put us on a pedestal, but we felt so ashamed and unworthy of this respect.
We also passed out 120 peanut butter sandwiches, chips, cookies, and kool-aid to the school . Peanut butter is a luxury here, very expensive so most people don't own any. The children loved it!!
Psalm 34:4-6: "I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all of my fears. Those who look to him, are radiant with joy, their faces will never be the same. The poor man cried and the Lord heard him, and saved him from all his troubles."

No comments:

Post a Comment